Thursday, April 15, 2010

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!


Chocolate chip cookies are my weakness. I fantasize about chocolate chip cookies with walnuts or pecans so much that it probably should be a sin for me. My husband uses cookies to motivate me to do things. And sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night having bad cravings for them. They are a drug to me. I wonder if they have rehab for chocolate chip cookie lovers.

Just recently, I tried a new recipe that uses whole wheat flour. WOW!!! Where has these fiber packed cookies been all my life. They were so good that I had to write about it. Granted, I love whole grain foods. I only eat whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, and brown rice. When I eat the processed stuff, it doesn't have the flavor depth that I get from the whole stuff. So, when I made whole wheat cookies, it had a nice nutty flavor that fits well with the cookies. Then I gave some to my husband. He declared that it was the best chocolate chip cookie that he's ever had. He then shared some with a coworker that has been dreaming about them since. There is something about whole wheat - it's just so good.

If you use all whole wheat, the cookies will spread considerable and be expremely flat because it doesn't contain a lot of gluten, which is fine to me. But, if you want a normal looking cookie, use half all-purpose flour or pastry flour (I just found a whole wheat all purpose flour, so we will see how that turns out). I will confess, however, that I did not use Bob Mill whole wheat flour, as Al Dente's blog tells us to use. Maybe it makes a difference. Be adventurous. Try it! You may be surprised.

Click here for cookie recipe at Al Dente

No comments:

Post a Comment