Thursday, March 25, 2010

Experiencing Hindi


I majored in English, while I was in college, and found out how amazing language is. With language comes culture and a pattern of thinking. The science of language is so complicated. When one decides to learn a new language, he/she is agreeing to change the way he/she thinks. If one wants to trulying be fluent in a language, he/she is agreeing to be part of a new culture.

I have recently been priviledged to be associated with many of the Hindi population. Two of my sisters are learning Hindi and every Wednesday, I accompany them as they talk to others in the Indian culture. Though I am in my home city, I feel as if I have traveled to a new world.

Indians, in general, are very hospitable people. They will invite you in, feed you, and even send you off with gifts, at times. My sister, a friend, and I ended up at one older lady's house, who after talking for about an hour, made us Indian Chai Tea. It was wonderful. She boiled ginger in water, added the loose tea leaves, then added milk. After straining the tea, she then added a pinch of garam masala. She served us this lovely tea with some butter cookies. It was a party in my mouth.

This was not the only nice experience I've had. Whenever we greeted a Indian person, "Namaste. ap kaise hain?"*, his/her face lighted up. As much of an interest we had in them, they had in us. We really felt welcomed into the world of Hindi. I have still much more to learn, but I do know that I love Bollwood movies; Indian dishes are my favorite; jasmine incense smells divine; hennas tattoos mark my summers; and the saris and salwar kameez are some of the most beautiful clothing that I have ever seen. You have have never had the opportunity to experience a little bit of Indian culture, visit Little India on Pioneer Blvd. in Artesia. It's an amazing experience and may even move you to learn Hindi yourself.



*Namaste is an Indian formal greeting. It shows respect and is normally done with hands pressed together and a bowed head. "ap kaise hain?" means "how are you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment