Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously

My family loves to laugh. And when we do silly, there's no telling what we will come up with. I can recall a time my sister and her friend went to the park to sing for money. They stood at a corner with a cup and a sign and sang. It wasn't too bad of an idea as they walked away with five dollars. Another time, I thought it would be fun to jump out of a moving vehicle, specifically a minivan. Though, it was fun, I probably wouldn't try it again. I got bruised up had an angry boyfriend on my hands.

Recently, the question came up whether we were too old to do silly things like that anymore. One argument was that people were watching us and expect us to be examples. There was no disagreement, but maybe we are taking our place in life a little too seriously. Yes, we cannot do some of the things that we could get away with at 16 years of age (we wouldn't want to attempt those things again anyways), but we can still allow the child inside of us loose every now and then. One friend admitted that she's not as happy as she used to be, because she cannot allow her silly side to show.

It is important that we mature and take care of our responsibilities, but we must not lose ourselves in the process. My sister and I, determined show others not to take themselves so seriously decided to dress up in the most horrible costumes and take professional pictures. The pictures itself were not the best part of the experience; it was the reactions of people we received while walking through the mall. My sister looked like a mix between a super hero and an 80's student in the movie "Fame". I just looked like a colorful mess. The pictures will not be received until March, but here are some we obtained from a photo booth.







Now after this, what was the worst that happened? People laughed and we had fun. I will use the cliche', "Let your hair down." No one is more attractive than someone that is comfortable with his/herself...and lets his/her silly side show. But, not only are people happy being around you, but you are happy being with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment